Tip of the ??? August 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the ??? August 2018

So besides the Engine book I am doing a full Restoration book and that means documenting everything there is about how to restore a truck from the frame up. I will try to put a few tips and tricks here as I go. This one is about how to fasten two pieces of metal together temporarily. Just use welding clamps right? Well, I discovered a technique used in the Aircraft Industry that has gotten into the restoration stream because it works so well.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05332.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	2634
    Cleco Pliers and Fasteners are a great way to hold two pieces of metal together. The pliers compress the fasteners internal spring and you get a very nice hold. There are two types of fastener. One uses holes drilled into both pieces of metal the same diameter. They come in 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and can go higher with a larger style of pliers. The other kind is side clamps that pull both pieces of metal together at the sides. You can get kits that have all the sizes and types complete with the Pliers for about $65. I was very happy with how useful they are during the spot welding or regular welding process. Here is a very badly damaged hood brace and after making the repairs, the way I was able to line the brace up with the factory holes and used Clecos to hold it together.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05334.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	2635
    There is a lot of potential for rust damage inside the long brace under the hood. Most restorers do not take that out because it requires removing spot welds and rivets, but if you don't do it, there is no way to get to the rot under the brace. The last pic here is after I just took a rubber mallet and tapped on the brace from the outside. That is what came out AFTER sandblasting and the first coat of primer.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05268.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	2636 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05270.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2637Click image for larger version

Name:	815.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2638
    I am very glad to have a resolution to a tool problem like the Cleco option. Hope this helps someone else!
    Last edited by Deve; 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com
Working...
X