Distributor lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor lube

I see the '47-'53 lube chart shows the distributor getting oil/grease. Does my '58 235 distributor have any lube requirements? Thanks, Terry

Hi Terry! I use regular, everyday, gear grease. The same as when you lube the chassis. Unscrew the grease cup, clean it out really good and fill it up. Then screw it in a few turns. Every now and then, give it another few turns pushing the grease through the spring, onto the pad and into the shaft. Brilliant in its simplicity!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Just got home and realized my distributor does not have the grease cup!

Comment

Yeah, some of the rebuilders cheaped out and put a zerk in that hole. It is not the same really. It doesnt provide any push except when you grease it so the grease doesnt last very long on the shaft. I make a habit of giving that cup a 1/4 turn every thousand miles or less. Not sure if that is enough or not, but its better than nothing!
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

The problem with all of the rebuilt distributors I have seen, besides not having the grease cup, is they always are missing the spring and wear disc, which is needed to keep accurate points opening.

Comment

Working...
          X