Engine Runoff Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Runoff Question

I'm going through my 1955 Chevy 235 engine out of an old passenger car. I built a test stand and am getting closer to firing it up. I do not plan on starting the engine with the transmission mounted to the bell housing. The bell housing and flywheel are installed. Is there any reason to mount the clutch to the flywheel before I start the engine? I have the old clutch but plan to install a new one prior to installing the engine into the car, which is a long ways off.

By the way, I really appreciate your site. This engine rebuild project is new to me, but all your clear information has been a blessing to me and given me confidence to proceed.

As long as your flywheel is bolted on good, there is no reason to install the clutch. It will run and test just fine on its own. My test run on my Youtube channel is set up the way you describe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzt...SrNgKegf2v_Mbg check out the 235 Initial Breakin Run video.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks Deve. I have another question.

I am going to keep the generator on my 235 engine just to keep it stock. I have the generator mounted on the engine on the test stand with the regulator connected. Will you please review my attached sketch of how I have it wired and comment? The original wiring diagrams for this 1955 235 engine are a little confusing to me but after deciphering them, this is how I have it wired. I followed your test stand control panel design sketch, but substituted a generator for the alternator you used in the sketch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	3787

Comment

That looks right to me. I do not know much about generator/regulator operation. I immediately go to an alternator because it uncomplicates the system. I do appreciate keeping things stock though!
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
        X