Rochester B 7003526

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rochester B 7003526

I have to say that Deve’s web site is the most thorough I have found. When I got my truck in 1987, there was nothing on the web. The last time I had time to do some work on the truck was 2015. At least then there were some forums, some how-to articles and on-line parts ordering. But what Deve has put together blows everything that I had seen previously away. Great work Deve and thanks.

In 1987 my wife happened upon a 1948 3/4 ton AD in the yard of a property she was showing to a real estate customer. She picked it up for $200 as a gift to me to replace a completely rusted out 36 Chevy sedan that had come our way through her family after being left outside in the weather for twenty or so years. I traded the 36 for a 1959 235 rebuilt block to replace the 216 that was in my 48 3/4 ton. Best I know the block was properly rebuilt as I worked with the father of the individual who rebuilt the 59 block. The father’s and son’s combined hobby was restoration of old vehicles. The truck, engine, transmission have been in my basement getting a little attention from time to time over the past 34 years. I’m now retired and think I may have some time to put toward making the truck road worthy. So with that boring but not so unusual background, I have (for now) a couple of simple questions. When the engine was rebuilt, the various openings came with components (carburetor, fuel pump, etc) to cover the openings but those components need to be rebuilt or replaced, especially having been sitting for years. I did rotate the engine by hand a couple of times a year.

So my first Dumb Question- more will come later: The carb that came with the 59 engine is a 1956 7003526 Powerglide carburetor with auto choke. Up until I determined it was for a Powerglide, I thought any Rochester B would work on my 59 235. Then I looked at the DTN slide show on carbs that Mike Carter provided and neither the slide show nor other DTN material I could find seemed to confirm that the 56 Powerglide 7003526 carb would be good on my 59 235. Just asking, will it work properly? Is there anything different with a Powerglide transmission/235 engine combo that would cause application issues with my ¾ ton 48 AD? BTW in the bed of the truck was a Borg Warner T86E-1A transmission with an R10B overdrive. I’ve yet to open it up. I believe that this tranny was installed in my ¾ ton AD but I found no bell housing for it. I hope to be able to use the Borg Warner if I can make it fit properly. But that is for later as I’m starting with the engine. I am sure I will have additional Dumb Questions as I move along…slowly.

That carb will work fine. The only problem with it is automatic choke which depending on how you look at it IS or ISNT a problem. I like manual choke carbs myself, but its preference more than anything. The transmission and overdrive will work fine with the engine too. The bell housing would be off the original 216 motor if you have it, if not you want to look carefully at the motor mount crossmember and see of the surface where the motor mounts is flat to the ground or slanted. If slanted you will need a 54-59 bellhousing and if flat 47-53. Then everything bolts right up. The R10 is an electric overdrive system that requires its own wiring harness. Quite a bit of work, but a very nice solution. If you have my book, it describes it there, otherwise there is lots of R10 info on the website as well. Other issues will be having a waterpump adapter plate w/ 53 waterpump to put the pump in the center of the radiator. There is more but most of it is documented on the website somewhere.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

• ga_geoff
      ga_geoff commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Deve.
Working...
X