• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This a 54 or a 55 First Series?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gmc55id.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	2003 Is this really a First Series 55 or a 54 with an upgraded drive train? I bought it without a title. The Serial number decode confuses the heck outta me. My serial number is 101 24 P 717381 which is 101 for half ton 24 for the engine P for Pontiac and 717381 for the production number. Is there any way to prove its a first series by this? Maybe like a production number higher than xxxxxx is a First Series?

I know this might not be the proper forum for this but I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Last edited by BrianFromTheSwamp; 11-13-2016, 10:09 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161112_164347.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2002 Here's a pic of her. She has an open drive shaft and a 283 "High Torque" from a 64 GMC with dual exhaust and a floor shift three speed. The engine was put in her in '66 by the owner and his two sons. i bought it from the grandson of the original owner. I'm really hoping this isn't a 54 that had the rear end changed out when the engine was... And i don't know any other way to know the year without the title.
    Last edited by BrianFromTheSwamp; 11-13-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Well, it appears that this is a 54 after all... as the 7 is a Z. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Looks like a fun project! Keep us posted!
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks Deve! She's a beauty.

Well, now I'm totally confused. One guy is telling me that the 55 first series trucks have VINs that start with a Z as they just carried over the 54 VINs for the First Series??? He said the Second Series starts with a Y... So I'm back to square one... How do I confirm what year model this is? Shouldn't this be the 16380th GMC truck made in 1954?
          Last edited by BrianFromTheSwamp; 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Wish I could help Brian. My experience is mostly with Chevys.
            Deve Krehbiel
            devestechnet.com
            forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
            X