Oil pick up screen assembly alignment, 57 235

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pick up screen assembly alignment, 57 235

I'm prepping a recently rebuilt 235 to replace the tired 216 in my 49 3/4 ton. The front engine plate lacked the square holes for the truck mount carriage bolts so I had to remove it for the necessary modifications, per Deve's excellent article. When I removed the oil pan, to access those pesky bottom timing cover bolts, I notices that the oil pickup screen assembly was tipped up quite far from horizontal to the driver side of the engine. I tried to rotate the pipe to achieve a more horizontal orientation but that resulted in contact between the pipe and the right connecting rod stud on the #5 cylinder. With the pipe rotated back just far enough to restore clearance I measured and determined the clearance between the pick up screen and the bottom of the pan was roughly 3/8".

The only shop manual I have right now is for the old splash oiler. The appropriate manual is on order and will be arriving via snail mail. In the meantime, can anyone help me out with the proper orientation procedure?
Working...
X