Distributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributors

I re-read the articles on distributors. Then I dug out some distributors. One of these had a pertronix conversion, the others just old distributors that turned. Some missing clips, grease cups, etc. To my chagrin, only one had a tag, the rest were tag-less. Is there a way to identify without the tag? Would a distributor with a low rotor work in a later model engine? To what extent would a distributor interchange?
    Is there a mark to line up when installing the vacuum advance on the distributor? For initial starting what would you line up on the vaccum advance?

All of the 40-62 distributors are interchangeable if you keep the points system. The ones with a nice plate on the outside are GMC which are also interchangeable. The vac advance markings were in my opinion a marketing strategy. Setting the timing by loosening that horizonatal side screw and setting it will get you where you need to go. I have hesitated on this post because I wonder if someone else here knows more about this and can refute what I just said, but in my experience, those markings on the vac advance are useless. Set it in the middle, then adjust the timing by turning the distributor. Its what I do. HEI using the stock distributor is so much better, I havent dealt with a points system in a long time.
    http://devestechnet.com/Home/HEIgnition
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

I think a distributor rebuild will make my world better. Somewhere there is an article about rebuilding the distributor. I remember reading it years ago. My candidate for rebuilding has had the grease cup replaced with a fitting. I had meant to leave it since it was missing the Bakelite on the side. I could replace that with a grommet if I do the electronic conversion. It has up and down play as well. In the aforementioned article was a reference to the rivet on the drive gear. Was it replaced with a roll pin? Here is my candidate for rebuilding
      Last edited by dazysnow; 12-11-2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

http://devestechnet.com/Home/StockIgnition

The up and down play isn't a problem usually. Side to side causing a wobble could be a problem, but I have only seen that once.
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
        X