Starter/Flywheel Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter/Flywheel Issue

I could use some help. I have a 53 3100 truck that was passed on to me. It has a 57 235 engine that was rebuilt in 98. I know the electrical was converted to a 12 volt system. The starter is a Delco Remy with the model number 1107108. I’m not sure if this is a 12 v or 6 v stater. The starter has begun to “whine” only on several pushes (without cranking the motor), before firing the engine. In addition, the starter and flywheel will occasionally “grind” when I push the starter. This occasional grinding has occurred since I got the truck.

My plan is to change the starter drive out, but I have a few questions...

1. I read the section on flywheels...I am honestly not sure if my truck have the original or newer style flywheel was installed. Without removing the wheel, how can I tell which one I have?

2. Is my current starter a 6 or 12 volt? Is it possible I have a 6 volt starter with the new style flywheel? Like I said, there is a grinding time once in a while. Would the 6 v starter even be able to fire with the new style flywheel? I want to change that drive, and want to make sure I have the right set up. But if I need to get a new 12 v starter, I want to know that as well.

Thanks in advance!

Count 1 inch (exactly) of teeth. You can remove the cover behind the oil pan to do this. If you have 4 teeth per inch, its a 6 volt flywheel, thus a 6 volt starter. Thats great for a 12v system. If its 5 teeth per inch then its a 12 volt flywheel and 12v starter. BOTH have 9 teeth on the starter, so the only way to know for sure is to count the teeth on the flywheel. 139 = 6v, 168 = 12v. The grinding you are experiencing is wear on the ring gear of the flywheel. You can either do a little filing work to get the burrs off, or remove the flywheel, then the ring gear and turn it around to give it new teeth to bite into. All of this is here: http://devestechnet.com/Home/Flywheel
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thank you Deve. I will measure the flywheel and see what happens. The website/forum are very helpful!

Comment

Ok...counted. 4 teeth per inch on the wheel. Based on my symptoms, would you recommend I just keep the 6 v delco remy, and get a new starter drive and see if that helps?

Comment

Yes. The 6v starter is actually better if you dont keep cranking on it. Starting should occur in about two rotations of the flywheel or less. Its good that you counted so you know which starter you need to replace it with in the future. Most people do that lesson the hard way!
          Deve Krehbiel
          devestechnet.com
          forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Deve, I’ve decided to purchase a new/refurbished starter. I’m looking at either my local auto parts store...I’m thinking of going with a Wilson refurbished. Any thoughts or recommendations on purchasing a refurbished one of good quality? I appreciate any advice

Comment

I do not know. I normally take my old one to an auto electric shop locally and they go through it. Let us know what luck you have. The main issue of course is the correct starter for the flywheel.
              Deve Krehbiel
              devestechnet.com
              forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
              X