Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1954-55 1st 6V wiper motor... Convert to 12V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954-55 1st 6V wiper motor... Convert to 12V?

I have always been a stickler for keeping my trucks as original or at least stock as possible. Including 6V electrical. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of 12V for a number of reasons. My 55 1st series Chevy 3600 NAPCO 4x4 has factory 6V windshield wipers, and as funky as the in original install is, I like it. It's unique to the truck and the time. Is it possible to convert the 6V Delco wiper motor to 12V during the rebuild/restoration of the unit?
    Thanks! I've enjoyed the tech articles here immensely!

-Josh

The only issue that I see is finding a wiper motor that looks and fits well. I do not know of anyone who has done it. I wasn't even aware they made a 6 volt version of wipers in those days. I only knew of the vac operated version.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Hi Deve. Yeah 1954 is the first year that Chevy offered the electric windshield wipers. It was an RPO and it wasn't commonly ordered. I am curious if the original wiper motors can be converted to run 12 volts. I don't know anything about such things though or how it would be accomplished.

Thanks for responding.

-Josh

Comment

I dont think its possible to convert the motor. Has to do with windings, transformer theory, etc. But a replacement 12v motor might be obtainable. I dont know myself. It would have only one motor and maybe the available replacement electric systems are the same?
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks Deve. By the way, I received my copies of your books a couple weeks ago. I'm very happy with them.

Comment

Working...
          X