261 Oil capacity or dipstick issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 261 Oil capacity or dipstick issue?

HI all - I have a 1960 Canadian Pontiac 261 that I am swapping into my '48 3600. I used Deve's instructions an made up an SS dipstick tube, which was pretty much the same length of the one that came with the engine. The problem is; I put 5qts in as that's what the Pontiac manual calls for (with a filter) and it's at the 'low' level mark. Now I'm confused if I have the wrong dipstick (14" under washer to full) or if I should put in 6qt, like a typical truck. Any ideas?

Not sure about the Canadian version of the 261, but here the length of the stick from the washer to full is 13-3/4. Also, I put in a total of 6 qts with almost one in the filter. I always pre-fill the filter before installing. It reads correctly. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Deve; 01-23-2022, 02:29 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks Deve. Do you know what dictates the amount of oil that goes into one of these? Is it the size of the oilpan?

Comment

I do not know how the car companies calculate that. If the level reads right at 13-3/4, its just the wrong dipstick.
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

That's my problem, I don't know how much oil it should take or if it's got the wrong dipstick!

Comment

Scratch or sharpie the dipstick at 13-3/4 inches from the washer to the full mark. Add 6 quarts of oil including the filter. If the stick reads about right, and it may be a little high or a little low, but pretty close, you can get the correct stick or permanently scribe the line there. I would think GM would have made all of their 261's the same, but I could be wrong. That's as far as my knowledge will take you. You might ask at inliners.org in their forums in case someone else has run into this same thing.
            Deve Krehbiel
            devestechnet.com
            forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks, I've spread this question around to a number of different sources. The dipstick seems to say use 6qt, but Pontiac manuals call for 5qt, so I've been really hesitant to add more. Brand new build, so I am really concerned about blowing out a seal...

Comment

Working...
              X