Broken Oil Pump Retainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Oil Pump Retainer

I have a 1962 Chevy 261 block with a broken oil pump retainer bracket. Is there a standard fix for this? I saw a thread on Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA) where JoeDv laser scanned the original cracked part and 3D printed a model to take to a foundry to have a new bracket cast. His son machined the part and fitted it to the block. Is there any possibility of replacing it with one from another engine? Are the bracket blanks available for sale anywhere? Is this a rare issue to have? I’m not seeing much information out there on the subject, and I’m really hoping my block isn’t junk because of this. What do you think?

I have used a mount from a different engine and it worked out okay.
    keep in mind, the mount was mounted to the engine with bolts with sheer heads so they couldn’t be removed. Then it was bored out on the block so everything was inline.
    If you put the pump and distributor in before tightening the mounting bolts and the pump and distributor turn free you should be okay.
    By the way, I reused the original shoulder bolts, that I ground to have six sides on it so it would take a socket.

Comment

Oh wow, what a relief to hear that someone has had success with the simple fix of just bolting on another mount! Do you know which engine years and models I might be able to source a replacement mount from? I’ve read that there were a few different oil pumps used, and I’m assuming different brackets as well?

Comment

Unfortunately it has been many years since I did this, so I don’t remember what I used, but I suspect one from a 216 or a 235 would work.

Comment

Working...
        X