Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

41 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup - Double Acting Lever Arm Shock ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup - Double Acting Lever Arm Shock ?

Does anyone know how the valves in the Double Acting Lever arm Shocks on a 41 pickup are suppose to work. By that I mean when the piston is moved one direction or the other what does each valve do? There are three valves one in each piston and one that ports fluid from one chamber to the other. I would like to know what opens and closes as the pistons are moved.

Wayne have you checked this out? I have no experience with those shocks, but check out the entire site here and see if there is a manual that describes it if this isnt right.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...1/41csm054.htm
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply - I did read that but was wondering if the arm should have a restriction in both directions - I have since found out that it has a heavy restriction in one direction and the Spring is supposed to push the wheel back down with some slight restriction. After taking mine aprt I found thay were very dirty but after cleaning and new oil they work fine. Saved some bucks.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it resolved. Thanks!
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Dave,

Would you happen to know what the Double Acting Shock link looks like? I believe the Single Acting has a Fork at each end and requires a Rod End of some kind at one end. I think the Double Acting Link has a "U" shape on one end and a Threaded rod for the rest of the link but like they say a Picture is worth a Thousand Words.

Wayne

Comment

I couldn't find anything better than what Wolf's post. Since they used these on cars, I wonder if you wouldnt have better luck on a forum like the HAMB.
            http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Good luck! I want to be able to answer every question that comes here Wayne. Problem is, its not 47-55 1st series, and I am just not talented enough to answer those questions that don't fall into the 'Zone'. I would encourage you to keep posting here though, because we do have people who frequent the site that may know.
            Last edited by Deve; 07-05-2016, 12:32 PM.
            Deve Krehbiel
            devestechnet.com
            forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks Deve,

I was under the impression and maybe mistakenly so but didn't they use the Same Double Action shock on the 47?

Comment

Could be Wayne. I learn as I go and in this case, I DUNNO! Someone chime in and let us both know!
                Deve Krehbiel
                devestechnet.com
                forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shock Link.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1329
                  I found one on eBay, Thank Heaven. Not sure if it is Front or Rear yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X