Tube Shocks for the AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Shocks for the AD

I am trying to figure out the proper shocks for 1949-1955 3100's and I have conflicting information. Anyone out there know the CORRECT shocks for these trucks?

Monroe Front: 31069
    Gabriel Front: 81270

Monroe Rear: 31163? 33049? Not sure which one because I have two notes from different pads!
    Gabriel Rear: ??

If you can please confirm and/or add what is missing. Thanks!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

So, I know nobody reads these posts, but it really helps me to record what I find out, so all is not lost. Here is the latest on this issue, but I still do not know which of these meets the actual OEM spec.

Two Front Choices: (numbers are in inches)
    Monroe 31069 - Extended Length: 17.250 / Compressed Length: 10.750 / Travel: 6.5 // Monro-Matic Plus
    Gabriel 81270 - Extended Length: 17.67 / Compressed Length: 10.56 / Travel: 7.11

Two Rear Choices
    Monroe 33049 - Extended Length: 21.250 / Compressed Length: 12.625 / Travel: 8.625 // Monro-Matic Plus
    Monroe 31163 changed to 5870 - Extended Length: 23.875 / Compressed Length: 14.250 / Travel: 9.625 // OE Spectrum
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Hi, Deve,

This is something I've been interested in for some time. My situation (problem?) is that my '47 has been lowered by a previous owner. The rear has a mono-leaf and the front has (from what I can gather from receipts) an Eaton Spring 'Hot Rod Drop'. On the front there isn't much space between the axle and the bump stop so there is very little travel. When I get to this I'll do some measurements and check the shock manufacturers listings and hopefully I'll find shocks that will work (or change the springs - but I do like the stance on the truck now). Thanks for doing the leg work on this topic.

Tony
      Last edited by Tony B; 06-26-2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Hi, Deve, I have finally installed one of the front shocks on my lowered '47. I used a KYB Gas-a-Just shock (KG4503) with extended length of 14.53 and compressed length of 9.53. My parts dealer cross-referenced this from a Monroe Spectrum (5751). I figure my drop is about 3 inches so the difference appears to coincide with the shocks you found for a stock application. Just thought the info might come in handy one day if someone is looking for lowered truck applications. Thanks.

Comment

Yes. Thanks Tony. Good information to have.
          Deve Krehbiel
          devestechnet.com
          forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
          X