Firewall Harness Routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall Harness Routing

I'm using the American Autowire Classic Update harness for my 51 3600. I'm curious if anyone has photos of the engine side of your firewall after your wiring was completed. I'd like to see how some of you routed things and dressed them up to be as neat as possible.

No you aren't!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

That's a fact, Deve. Ripped the whole thing out and went with a stock harness. The AAW Classic Update assumes you are modernizing everything in your old truck. Had I known that, I would not have spent that kind of money.

Comment

Actually, WE learned a lot about wiring harnesses together and I am very grateful for the experience. That was the second stock wiring harness in two months for me, so I feel we got yours right without question. People (me too) tend to want to get the most deluxe version of something hoping it will cut down on the headache, but in this case, it added confusion and about 6 more pounds to the truck! Glad we got together on that one!
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Just joined. Old thread I know but I want to use original harness with upgrades and would welcome any help on my 50 3100. Alternator, HEI, Want to bypass ammeter safely. Would also like to add fuses and relay box, electric fuel pump.

Comment

I only know how to wire my HEI using the stock distributor, but I am sure there are many wiring diagrams out there for that. If you are using a stock wiring system, adding an alternator is very simple. Get a 10SI alternator (considered 3 wire) and jumper the F terminal to the main lug, then run a wire to the BAT terminal on the regulator on the firewall. One wire basically is all that is needed for that. Use 10 gauge wire. Personally, I like the ammeter and you can use a 50 amp circuit breaker to protect your wiring placed between the main terminal lug at the starter and the main wire to it. I sell an electric fuel pump kit and the HEI, Electric Fuel Pump kit, PCV kit, etc, etc have free plans on how to do it yourself on the main site. devestechnet.com in the How-To Section. Also, there are a few good wiring articles there. The 1950 wiring is basically the same as the 1953 so the article is valid.
            Deve Krehbiel
            devestechnet.com
            forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
            X