6 to 12 volt conversion problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 to 12 volt conversion problems

Hello Guys. Newbie here. Have found a lot of great help here. But, I'm having a problem with my 6 to 12 volt conversion on my 1st gen 55 3100. I followed the instructions as posted by Mr. Deve. Here's my problem.... The switch has 3 positions. 12 o'clock, 1ish and 3 o'clock. When I turn the key to the 3 position I get nothing, but on the 1ish, there is power to the coil. Again, but, the DA plug, which I put together myself as instructed by another recommendation, starts to smoke at the diode. I need to get truck running before I do any other upgrades. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Near the bottom of this article it mentions how to wire the alternator. Does that help? http://devestechnet.com/Home/Native12VUpgrade
    To test which posts on the switch connect when you turn the key, use a multimeter and test each post so that you are sure which post does what. I would think your problem is more the way the alternator is wired in. For testing purposes only you can run a jumper from the main post on the starter to the coil (+) to make the engine run. Just remove that jumper in between tries or you will burn out the coil. That is to temp remove the ignition switch from the mix. I assume you have already read this or the book has a chapter on it:http://devestechnet.com/Home/ADWiringSystem
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks Deve. I'm so old school I don't know how to read a meter. I have a simple meter that I use for ohms. Anyway I'll try the jumper to get the truck running then................
      Thanks again.

Comment

I noted what you wrote about the alternator not being wired correct. I did make one change. I had the small wire from the 2 wire plug going to the resistor in turn to the coil. I made the change to the ignition switch. I still got a little smoke at the diode but not as bad. I changed the points and condenser then turned the switch on, got a little smoke at the resistor. I fired it up and it started. My next upgrade is to put brakes on it. None now. Then will do the electronic ignition.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X