This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter Options for Your 1947-1955 Advance Design Truck

Note: As with all of the content on this website, you can simply click on any picture to get its largest size. In this way, we can maintain the clearest definition to make it easier for you to see the detail. If the picture is so big you can't see all of it on your screen, all you have to do is hold down CONTROL and move the mouse wheel up and down to resize!

In these years, Chevy made two types of filters. The dry filter was standard from the factory, and for some reason, wasn't as desirable as the oil bath type. Customers generally opted to have the dry filter replaced at the dealer. This makes the dry filter assembly very rare. You do see them on Ebay from time to time.

These are shots of a dry filter taken while on the truck. The reason it wasn't real desirable was its copper filling. You had to wash this filter with Kerosene every 2000 miles and re-oil and drain before re-assembly. The copper also broke down over time, and this copper was likely to get sucked into the carb, thus possibly causing premature engine failure. Fortunately for us, the vendors carry new original filters for this style. I just went with a modern type myself. There is the question of the modern filter allowing for the volume of air that a 261 sucks in, but no, that isn't an issue at all.

Personally, I like the dry type, because I do not like the idea of oil sloshing around in the oil bath type. It is also a messy proposition when you go to clean it. It gets sludgy and dirty really quick. I say I like the dry type, but with a modification or two. By simply removing the copper mesh and screen, and getting a modern round filter to replace it, you now have a really nice filter that is really the best of both worlds. Great filtering and no mess while maintaining relatively the same look. My only complaint about this solution is that it sits higher due to the additional height of the modern filter. I have been unable to find a flatter modern filter.

The second mod that has to be done is to make the center screw longer to accommodate the higher filter. My solution was to remove the original screw, drill it out for a #10 longer screw. By screwing the screw into the nut (with lock washer and Loctite), you can pretty much not worry about the screw falling into the intake. The decal is available from our standard vendors, and adds the finishing touch. The NAPA part number for the filter element is #2373 (Napa Gold.) Anyone finding a shorter filter that would eliminate the need to change the bolt, please let me know!

Here is a shot of the Oil Bath assembly, so you can see the difference. There is quite a difference, too! The advantage of this system is that no disposable filter is required. It also makes the engine look more antique. Decals are available for this type, too.

More Pictures available at The Site Archive Page!

This article was first published at DevesTechNet.com(c)2015 All Rights Reserved
    Last edited by Deve; 02-19-2015, 09:18 AM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Deve,
    After having my 1958 3600 Chevrolet NAPCO, 235 powered, run with a yet undeveloped technology called "oil injected Rochester carburetor" I have decided that I need to change it over to a paper filter from the oil bath. I have cleaned the mesh in the upper section out several times, added the correct amount (1 pint) of 50 weight to the bowl section of the filter it still pulls oil into the carb, it runs out butterfly rod and when the truck sits long enough, the oil will run past the intake gasket on the #4 cylinder. It makes a mess of things. I am looking for a replacement oil bath filter that I can modify for a paper filter. The filter I have looks like your picture #47 in your very complete posting on this conversion process. I wish to have the truck look as much like stock as possible, I think I found a paper element that will leave a small amount of filter exposed if my plans are correct. I have not found anyone who has as much detail as you have posted on this detail. I still need to know if I cut off the bottom disc section then the next base ring section; will this allow the mesh to be removed? I have a friend who has a lathe with a large chuck to hold the top mesh section, a simple parting tool can make a nice cut to remove these sections, if I am right. Using the top section without the mesh replaced with a paper filter should give a good replacement. Plan to leave the center tube section of the top of the filter intact.
    Can you give me an idea about what I am going to find with this described process? Do you have a picture of the modified filter (without the paper element in place) that is in picture #47?

Comment

I found a simple way to modify the oil bath type by doing pretty much what you have in mind. I just used a makita grinder with a thin disc and cut everything off the Lid part so all that was left was a lid. Then get the proper filter and set it right in place. I hate cutting up vintage parts but this worked really well because I hate the idea of oil sloshing over my carb too. I don't have any pics that are not already on the site.
      Deve Krehbiel
      devestechnet.com
      forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
      X