Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'55 Chevy First Series Deluxe Cab - advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 Chevy First Series Deluxe Cab - advice needed!

Hi!

As a first time poster here and an 'about to be' new owner of a '55 First Series Chevy Truck - as you might imagine - I have a lot of questions!

Some basic help would be greatly appreciated at this early stage. I particularly would like to know the probable cause/reason for the black (exhaust?) markings around the Spark plug holes and if it should be cause for concern. Is this normal for the 235? (Engine rebuilt approx 8 years ago - 10k miles)

More to follow - thank you in advance.

Welcome Exile! So you are seeing soot around the spark plug holes? What about the spark plugs themselves? If you have a torque wrench, the plugs are supposed to be tightened to 25 foot pounds. If everything is tight, and the plugs are gapped to .035 or .040, all should be good. I cannot explain the black around the holes other than if it isn't soot it could just be grime from just regular maintenance. It is not normal per say. Nice looking engine. I like the valve cover. Take some Simple Green or some kind of water based cleaner and see if that comes off or gives you an indication if whether it's grease or soot. There is always someone here for you and this community has many great resources that are posted on the main site resources page. Its a fun journey!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thank you Deve for your speedy and very helpful response. Good to know nothing 'nasty' came to mind! I am due to road test the Chevy in a few days and if all is as discussed - by the end of next week - should be in my possession. (Can hardly wait!) One of my first priorities will be the full check & clean of the engine (thanks for the cleaning tip). I'm a Brit living in Southern Croatia - where believe it or not this Chevy was Restored - and I have been lucky enough to prise away from the Restorer! Perhaps you'd like a quick look at the beauty: (will happily post more once I am the owner!)
      Last edited by exile3100; 07-31-2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I had to Post again - I've just noticed where you are from! Did you see the tag I put on the Chevy Photo? Unbelievably this vehicle originated and was imported from Kansas where it spent it's working life! The "You're not in Kansas anymore" comment was a play on the Avatar or Wizard of Oz movies - referring to the Truck - not realising that was where you were!! Small world...

Comment

Hehe yeah, it IS a small world alright. I have a section of this forum where you can start your own picture gallery. Would be nice to see all angles of the truck and your progress as you go. Enjoy the journey!
          Deve Krehbiel
          devestechnet.com
          forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thank you - I definitely will as soon as it's home! Really happy to have found your Site.

Be in touch again soon...

Comment

Not that it makes a big difference, but that is a 1955 2nd or later engine.
              Mainly important when addressing the water pump.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to help. Just another small 'detail' the current owner was not aware of!

As it turns out - as you say - it will not make any difference as it would appear the vehicle will now not be mine - the current owner deciding at the 12th hour: "...he had not asked enough..." It was enough for me!

Back to the drawing board...

Comment

Sorry to hear that, but when you do find one you will know where to go! Good luck out there!
                  Deve Krehbiel
                  devestechnet.com
                  forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

My guess the head was repainted and the plug recession was not cleaned very well, or at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X