What's this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this?

A dumb question but what do you call this cover beneath the spark plugs on my 261? See https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2zkqxw4t2...82%29.jpg?dl=0

I used the tip on this site to get a thicker valve cover gasket and am thinking that I should replace this gasket as well. What is it and does it routinely need to be replace? Thanks

That is how you get access to the lifters. If it leaks, then you should replace it. As with any of these metal covers, tightening down too hard causes the metal to cave in around the holes which causes more leaking. If you take it off, put the cover on a flat surface and see if the holes are not flat before putting the new gasket in. I use a thin coat of high temp sealer on all surfaces when installing. Since that cover doesn't get disturbed much, if its not leaking, there is no reason to replace it.

By the way, if you want to place pictures in your post, you can place as many as you want. There is an icon near the middle right of the icons above each post that allows you to place an image, movie or attachment.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Got it. So I look for a valve lifter cover? Thanks also for the tip about posting images.

Comment

If you need a new cover it is commonly referred to as a side cover. The gasket would be called a side cover gasket. I like Rock Auto for this sort of stuff. Decent prices and they seem to care. Happy to help!
        Deve Krehbiel
        devestechnet.com
        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Hey Deve, Do they make a thicker side cover gasket like the valve cover gasket? I installed a new chrome side cover and reused the gasket that was on there.....leaking on the bottom edge. Maybe I just need a new gasket even if it's not thicker. Terry

Comment

I guess it would help if I didn't put the side cover on backwards! Lesson learned. Check Devestechnet first, then proceed....even if it's a simple project.

Comment

Haha! Happens DB. I refuse to admit how many times I have done similar things! I am sure its in the gazillions.
              Deve Krehbiel
              devestechnet.com
              forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
              X