235 intake gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 235 intake gasket

Hello, Good to be here. I have acquired a 54 5 window. I am sorting through the engine which I have discovered an exhaust leak and intake leak.
    Not purring like it should. No manifold cracks, going to have the manifold re-honed for for good fuel delivery. I have heard rumors of a stock intake exhaust gasket that is thicker than average (more like original), any one know of it's availability?

thank you

Welcome Wilbur! I do not know of any thicker gasket, but you won't need a thicker one if you follow the following steps:

1) Remove the carb and then remove the intake and exhaust manifolds and take them apart.
    2) Change out any studs that require it and make sure the valve opens and closes cleanly and a good spring is in place.
    3) Clean up the manifolds if you choose, paint the exhaust with 2000 degree paint. (Intake is okay with 500 degree engine enamel)
    4) Put the Intake and exhaust manifolds back together with a new gasket in between the two. Do not tighten them together, just keep them loose for now.
    5) Install the Intake and Exhaust back on the engine with no gasket. Once you have it tight to the engine block, tighten the two manifolds together tight.
    6) Remove the manifolds together and do not loosen the two. Take it to a local engine machine shop and have them resurface the two together.
    7) Reinstall the manifolds with a new gasket.

The cost is about $40 or so and you will have properly fixed your leak. Hope this helps!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

• wilbur
      wilbur commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response

Be a little careful when having the intake resurfaced. If too much is taken off, the alignment rings will bottom out. This will hold the manifold away from the head, preventing gasket compression.

Comment

Here is a sample of a one piece gasket for 235's. Remflex 2027
      Last edited by Pre68Dave; 09-01-2016, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deve View Post
        Welcome Wilbur! I do not know of any thicker gasket, but you won't need a thicker one if you follow the following steps:

1) Remove the carb and then remove the intake and exhaust manifolds and take them apart.
        2) Change out any studs that require it and make sure the valve opens and closes cleanly and a good spring is in place.
        3) Clean up the manifolds if you choose, paint the exhaust with 2000 degree paint. (Intake is okay with 500 degree engine enamel)
        4) Put the Intake and exhaust manifolds back together with a new gasket in between the two. Do not tighten them together, just keep them loose for now.
        5) Install the Intake and Exhaust back on the engine with no gasket. Once you have it tight to the engine block, tighten the two manifolds together tight.
        6) Remove the manifolds together and do not loosen the two. Take it to a local engine machine shop and have them resurface the two together.
        7) Reinstall the manifolds with a new gasket.

The cost is about $40 or so and you will have properly fixed your leak. Hope this helps!
        Hey bro, thanks for such a nice reply and it would be helpful for me too.

Last edited by Deve; 09-24-2016, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X