Seeking some Clatter Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking some Clatter Chatter

Pulling my hair out. Hearing some clatter from the front part of my '58 261. Assumed it was rockers or valve guides until I noticed the clatter went away when I took the belt off. Assumed it was a bearing in the alternator, so replaced with a new one, and still have the clatter. That made me assume it was a water pump issue, so I replaced it, and you guessed it, still have the clatter. So, I can make a pretty good case for the noise coming from the area of the harmonic balancer, but since it is spinning anyway when the belt is removed, what the heck could this clatter be coming from?

Two things come to mind.
    First, make sure the adjusting bracket is not hitting the alternator fan.
    Second, make sure the pulley is not loose on the balancer.
    It is unlikely but make sure the balancer is tight on the crank.

Comment

Bingo! Many thanks, Dave. I took off the belt, and got under the truck to see if the balancer was loose, and it was on tight, HOWEVER, you were spot on. The pulley was loose on the balancer. I could wiggle it and rattle it, making the same clatter I have been hearing. So, happy to report I will soon have a balancer/pulley/sleeve replacement to go along with my new alternator and water pump, and a big dose of experience. And, no, I don't want to talk about my lost time and money! Thank you again, Dave.

Comment

Glad it worked out!
        I wish I had not had all those learning experiences over the years also.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X