Starting my 261 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my 261 project

I found it (call it 1962 261 junk yard gold) Locked in a smashed 1962 C60 truck. the hood had been stuck down for 40 years and it took a half an hour just to pry it open. seeing the untouched engine for the first time was a rush!
    To my shock the crank moved when I turned the shaft. I made arrangements to have the engine pulled and I was told I could pick it up the following week. The call came in and it was ready for pick up.
    It had been 3 days sense the call and I pulled into the yard to retrieve my find. Went in to pay for my engine and Ralph the owner asked a strange question, Did that engine have a rocker assembly with it?
    In the 3 days from the engine pull someone found and took the rockers. I took the engine home and started my search for a good assembly.
    I have found 2 complete, both have some issues.
    One set is a miss matched group of parts and the other has a lot of wear on shaft and rockers.

My question is, what is too much wear on the rockers and shaft?

3 of the miss matched rockers have a riser that seems to sit in the oil feed hole on the shaft all the others are smooth with some wear. Both shafts have a flat that runs along the bottom.
    It seems that this assembly is made up from different era rocker assemblies. Any one know?

Thanks for the help

Paul B
    Last edited by Paul B; 05-11-2020, 07:40 AM.

Do not get stuck thinking only 261 rockers will work.
    235 and 261 rockers from 1959-62 are a direct fit. There are minor differences, but of no concern.
    you can even use 1954-58 rockers with a slight modification to restrict the oil to the top end.
    my blog post addresses this.
    Chev 235 guy ~ Let's talk vintage Chevrolet...
    Last edited by Pre68Dave; 05-11-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Hi Pre68Dave,

I think all the rockers I have are 58-62, But not 100% sure how to tell. casting marks are 85, 86, 87, 88,
      Is there a spec on the rockers to tell if its safe to use them.
      The manual I have just says to check for excessive wear,
      I lack the experience to identify excessive wear. Any good tricks like the head of a penny in the tire tread?

Thanks
      BTW my truckis a 1953 delux and I intend to do a frame up restoration starting this fall

Paul B

Comment

Hi Paul
        By blog shows pictures of the two types, but the 1950-58 rockers have the groove inside, in the center. 1959-62 have the groove 1/4” offset from the center.

rockers only have upwards pressure, so the wear is always on the bottom of the shaft, and the bottom of the hole in the rockers.
        If you look inside the rockers you can see an area that is under the hole in the shaft. Because there is no contact there you will see a little raised tit. If you see much at all the rockers should be rebushed.
        I believe new shafts are still available, even on Ebay.

Comment

I do have a few rockers if you need any.

Comment

Hi Dave,
            That's cool. a totally different way of looking at the wear in the rockers. The tit on some of the rockers is quite pronounced
            I do have 2 complete sets of rockers now and all are 59-62. I will keep your offer in mind. I can see if I want to do this correct, I will need to replace the shafts. You mentioned re-bushing the rockers. Is this something a machine shop or a specialty shop would Do?

Comment

There are businesses that specialize in rocker rebuilding. I don’t know if just any machine shop would be setup for this.

Comment

I guess I like searching for the rare and illusive. I unexpectedly ran into a 1955 261 Rochester B 7005140 it was mounted to a 235 that I was trying to start.
                Ordering up a kit and began to rebuild it, Everything went good on the rebuild an then I noticed something unusual. I have a hole near the top of the carb?
                None of the other Rochester B carbs I have seen in the past had this hole and I don't have any idea if it should be there. I can't tell if its factory or some one did a nice job drilling it.
                does anyone have an idea what this hole is used for? Thanks for the help

Paul Belland

Comment

I have seen a few like that. I was told by someone that it is a home-made remedy for vapor lock or some anomaly that doesn't exist in a properly functioning carb. I may be totally full of it, but when I see that, I plug the hole. After rebuilding the carb, it just works!
                  Deve Krehbiel
                  devestechnet.com
                  forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

I would like to see a list of every home-made remedy for vapor lock! It would be a long one.

Comment

Working...
                    X