235/261 Valve Cover Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 235/261 Valve Cover Gasket

If you take a level and check your engine, you will notice it is high on the front and low on the back. This can cause leakage that looks like a rear main or some catastrophic problem exists when it doesn't. Oil leaks out the back of the Valve Cover and you can't see between it and the firewall.

Since it is not uncommon to remove the Valve Cover for checking the valves, ensuring oil is distributing properly, etc, most of us just seal the Valve Cover Gasket to the engine block with gasket sealer and then just crank the cover down. Problem is, it's only cranked down in four places and over time, over cranking can cause the cover to warp slightly. The best answer to the problem that I have come up with is the
    Fel-Pro extra thick gasket. They sell two different thicknesses, the standard thickness and the thicker one, but most people don't know this. I got my thicker one thru Summit Racing. Fel-Pro Part Number is 1-90870.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Good info about the thicker gasket. It seems to me there should be a neoprene gasket available as there is for the V8.

Comment

I could not find a 1-90870 at Summit Racing nor at the Felpro website. O'Reilly has 235 valve cover gaskets from Felpro in two thicknesses: 5/32" (PN: VS50189C) for $9 or 7/32" (PN: VS50190C) for $12.

Comment

• DBCooper
        DBCooper commented
        Editing a comment
        I just ordered one from Amazon for $9.99 - the 7/32. Thanks for the info.

Isn't it amazing how fast things can change? I had to go through Summits Tech Support for that number, then I posted that number from the actual Fel-Pro box. The 7/32" is probably the same one then. Thanks for the update!
      Deve Krehbiel
      devestechnet.com
      forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
      X