Rear Window Installation Made Easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window Installation Made Easy!

Hi guys! I am in the process of writing a book an restoring a 1950 Chevy Truck and got to the window installation and figured now is a good time to make some mention of the glass install. This is about the rear window and the same concept can be applied to the corner glass as well. First off, here is the best video of this installation ever. Kudo's to these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWINjcZOSe8

Now, notice how everyone everywhere talks about it taking two people to do it. It's easy to do it yourself. No need to stress the marriage, or annoy your friends. The trick is to understand that rubber has a memory. You get the rubber all rolled up in a bag. It is NOT molded to fit the window. So, put the rubber in the cab's channel with no lube or anything. It's easy if you pinch it as you put it in. It spreads nicely if you do that. When you get to a corner just go around the corner. No tape, No lube. Once it is in place, do not cut it yet. Leave it as long as it was in the bag overnight. The rubber needs to conform to its new home and that takes several hours.

The next day, mark where the rubber meets exactly, then mark one inch longer. Remove the rubber and set it on a surface you can cut on making sure to cut at a 90 degree (perfectly straight) angle. Then put it back on the same way. No need for the non-hardening glaze. It was made to make sure the rubber expands into its new home but since you waited a day to let the rubber learn its place, its not needed and you wont need tape either. Place the window in the hole starting at the bottom and set it into the bottom groove making sure it bottoms out, then use the hook tool in the video to slowly move the rubber into place. It was really no problem to do it myself once I learned the trick. I was able to do both corners and the rear myself without a lot of misery.

For those of you who think the glaze is necessary for sealing, remember its non-hardening. If you really want to seal it, use hardening sealer after the window is in but before you put in the retaining rubber. If you follow the video to the letter, it will work very well. Just sharing what extra information I learned in the process.

Another thing for you Deluxe Cab owners. The corner rubber is NOT the same as the rear window rubber. The width of the channel is slightly thicker for the corner glass since it is made from tempered glass while the rear window is made from double-paned safety glass. More on corner glass in another post.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com
Working...
X