Tip of the Week (10) for December 6-12, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the Week (10) for December 6-12, 2015

Spending so much time preparing small parts for paint, the thought occurred that maybe there is something that could be said about the process. I just finished restoring two deluxe Harrison heaters and the process is the very same for all parts on the truck. Sandblast every part to the bare metal. It's the only way you can examine each part close enough to ensure you have serviceable parts. If you have damage to repair, now is the time (that is a whole nother Tip of the Week!). Once cleaned with a good Naptha based cleaner (I use PPG's DX-330), it's time to hit the parts with Epoxy Primer. This is a very important step. Epoxy Primer is the very best way to preserve the parts. But here is where the Tip comes in...

We can assume you do not do this for a living and have other things in your schedule for example, work, family, etc and do not put the priority on the restoration. This means you have to organize your time. If you Epoxy Primer the small parts, you have a 7 day window before the next coating. If you do not coat all of the parts you put Epoxy Primer on within 7 days, you get to sand all of those parts again! I do not know about you, but I do not like sanding and worse, wasting time. So, the key to success here is to Epoxy Primer the small parts, but then, wait an hour or less than 7 days, and hit them again with high-build Urethane Primer. By applying the high build Urethane you are stopping the clock and you can get to the rest of the process whenever you get to it! Epoxy Primer is also rated to 500 degrees so makes a great substrate for external engine parts (less the exhaust manifold). Taking the time to do it right really pays off in the end with the added benefit of Preservation included in your Restoration philosophy.
    Last edited by Deve; 12-05-2015, 09:22 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com
Working...
X