Tip of the Week (16) for January 17 - 23, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the Week (16) for January 17 - 23, 2016

I would be remiss in my responsibilities as a grandfather if I didn't work to ensure my grandkids understood some of the nuances of automotive restoration. Since the entire industry is going more towards electronic solutions, I figured the best way to get them enthused while teaching them something valuable is to get a kit called Snap Circuits Jr. for the younger ones. The problem comes in when you consider the age old problem of AA Batteries. Grandparents all over are purchasing toys with AA Batteries and then when they die, the Parents are not just standing around with a new set of batteries waiting to be installed. (Oh the Humanity!) That's where this weeks Tip comes in...

Most people have power supplies laying around all over the place. Every cell phone you have ever purchased over the years, all the computer routers, that old recharger from your long dead rechargeable drill, if you look around a bit, its likely you have a few. The idea is to make a wall charger that powers anything that takes batteries. Most of them are rated at about 1 amp and able to handle the job. Problem is, most of these power supplies are rated at 5 volts. In our example, we need to emulate two AA Batteries. This means we need about 3.2 volts. The plan is to cut the end off the power supply and reduce the voltage, then put alligator clips on the ends. Then the Parent who is so happy they do not have to worry about batteries will teach the kid how to attach the two leads to the battery box.

To do this, we need to decide what to do about getting the voltage reduced. Enter something called a Voltage Divider Circuit. There is a really nice Calculator here:
    https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/voltage-dividers

We will then use 3 watt resistors just to be overly cautious and put them in a voltage divider orientation. Which is one after the other in series. Looking at the site above, we plug some numbers into the calculator and come up with a 150 ohm and a 350 ohm resistor.Then, the black wire on the power supply goes to one end, and the red lead (+) goes to the other end. Then, to get the reduction, we will take another red wire, and solder it to the junction of the two resistors. This is our new Positive. Measuring with a meter, we get 3.2 volts. Now to pretty things up and keep the kids out, we will use shrink tubing to close it up and keep the current flowing. You can get the resistors at Mouser.com or Digikey.com. I got a few rubberized Alligator Clips from Harbor Freight and soldered them on the ends.

Note: The value of the resistors are carefully chosen in one direction you will get about 2 volts. The other direction you will get 3.2 volts. Check the voltage before buttoning it up.

Be sure to look carefully on the outside of your power supply candidate to make sure you know what the Voltage output and Amperage output is, and use the calculator above to determine the value of the resistors. Have fun! I know my grandkids will, even if they have to play near an AC voltage outlet! This is not a good way to reduce voltage in a power supply normally, because of the inefficiency, but in the case of a very low amperage and low wattage, this will get the job done. Use 3 watt resistors just to be safe!

Now if for some reason you do not get enough amperage to run a servo-motor or something more amp hungry, get this instead of the above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141249782084...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This works with 1 amp supplies like cell phone chargers and still delivers the amps needed. The other great news is, it steps any voltage from 32 volts down to any voltage down to 800 millivolts! 5 Amps too! Seeya Next Week!
    Last edited by Deve; 01-17-2016, 01:43 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Hey Deve,

You've hit on something close to home. I have an elliptical trainer that uses 4 D batteries (1.5V). I also have an Eveready rechargeable battery charger. It will charge AA, AAA, C, D, and 9V rechargeable batteries. Unfortunately, the batteries are no longer taking the charge. So...why not eliminate the batteries and wire the charger directly to the elliptical machine?

The charger's input is 6.2VAC/1.24A. The outputs are: 2.9 VDC/550 mA, 2.9 VDC/210 mA, 2.9 VDC/60 mA, and 8.6 VDC/10 mA.

Do you think this would be possible? Maybe I would be better off buying another pack or two of D rechargeable batteries.

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

So you need to drop 8.6 volts down to 6.4 (you always add a little) right? So order that unit from Ebay. That is your very best bet. then attach it to the end of the charger that puts out 8.6 volts and make up two wires with alligator clips on the ends to attach to the other end of the circuit. Done! And, that is a much better way to do it because it also regulates the current. Takes at least 3 weeks to get the circuit, but I have tested it and it works great up to 5 amps. Make sure the elliptical doesn't require more. If so, let me know.
      Deve Krehbiel
      devestechnet.com
      forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

I'll confirm the voltage on the elliptical. I may even have a 6V charger laying around that would make the conversion even simpler, thanks again.

I have a Class 2 Transformer that has 120V input and 6.2V 1.24A output. Why can't I read the output with my volt meter? It appears to work when attached to the charger device.

I did find a 9V charger that is no longer in use. Obviously, I would need some configuration of resistors to get down to the 6.4V. Looks like I better re-read the Tip of the Week......
        Last edited by HandyAndy1947; 01-18-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

You should be able to read the output with the voltmeter. Maybe the end is protected to the point where you can't get the meter lead in? That is the correct output for your elliptical IF the amperage is enough, which I am not convinced, but I do not know what you are trying to power exactly. If its just a small computer, LED's, etc, then 1.24 may cover it. If there is a Motor involved, no. If your transformer is plugged in to the wall, the output should read with a voltmeter.
          Deve Krehbiel
          devestechnet.com
          forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Okay, Ive re-read the material and identified a 9V charger for my use (it reads 9V with a volt meter). The desired voltage is 6.2V.

6.2V = 9 X 450/650 (this is using a 3 watt 200 Ohm and a 3 watt 450 Ohm Resistor)

6.2V = 9 X .69

6.2V = 6.21V EUREKA!

The 6V required are for the display panel and a very small motor that is used to mechanically increase/decrease the tension on the machine while in use.

Please check my math, thanks!

Comment

You are doing fine, however, when I tried to run a small 3v servomotor for my grandkids project, the resistor solution didn't work. It has to do with the current limiting that the resistor solution also does. So, try it and see if it works, but my guess is it won't. But that solid state solution only costs $3. Let me know! Fun stuff!
              Deve Krehbiel
              devestechnet.com
              forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Thanks Deve, I appreciate all of the information you put into the Tip of the Week. I have gained a lot of extremely useful information and learned a tremendous amount here on DTN. No sense in wasting my time and effort on the resister solution, I'll just order the solid state device and move on.

Yes, very fun stuff indeed!

Comment

So, I received my charger step down. Can you believe it, just under one week from China?

Any way, the novice electrician in me has a few questions:

1. Is the output voltage adjusted with the two slotted screws on the charger step down?

2. If so, what is the procedure for adjusting to the desired output voltage?

3. Do you have any mounting/securing/protecting suggestions for the circuit board?

Likely, the line 9V charger is connected and then the output voltage is adjusted with the slotted screws.......

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah. That IS amazing! Glad for you... There are two slotted potentiometers on the board. I could not figure out why really. Only one of them seems to work. The one away from the power supply. So input your 9 volt supply, then tweak that potentiometer for the desired output. My grandson loves it! He is soo appreciative. I put mine in a small project box I had laying around. You may have to do another ebay purchase if you do not have a radio shack (or similar) around. I used standoffs to mount it to the plastic box. I drilled two holes in the box above where the screws are, so its adjustable from the outside. Or, you could get some large shrink tubing and just cut a small hole in it where the potentiometer adjust is and call it a day. Be careful the shrink tubing does not squeeze parts out of whack. Use very large tubing so it shrinks sort of loose around the whole thing.

Nice thing about that unit is that it doesnt matter what the INPUT is, the OUTPUT is the same until you adjust it differently. So with a 12 volt supply I get 3.4 volts, with a 9 volt supply I still get 3.4 until I change it. It really is a great solution. Since it is 32 in and 32 volts out, you can't mess it up with a 9v charger.
                    Deve Krehbiel
                    devestechnet.com
                    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Yesterday, I temporarily wired-up the charger step down. It worked perfectly, just as you described it would, and it seemed to stay right where it was set without any wandering up or down. I'll head to Radio Shack and pick-up a few items to finish this little project.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Glad I could be of help Andy! Don't show it around too much, everyone will want one! My Son just uses an old cell phone charger (5v) with the USB connection, so I just wired it up to accept USB and now the kids can plug it in anywhere. Even the computer! (I don't recommend they hook it up using the computers USB 5v power supply because if you get a short you could blow up the computers supply.)
                        Deve Krehbiel
                        devestechnet.com
                        forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
                        X