Tip of the Week (20) for Feb. 14-20, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the Week (20) for Feb. 14-20, 2016

This week I just wanted to pay my respects to the wonderful vendors that I rely on to do most everything. I have never been a mainstream person. Everything I do is just a little different than everyone else, so I am always looking for better and more efficient ways to get the job done without compromising quality. For the most part the first company on my mind when it comes to 1947-1955 trucks is usually not one of our 47-55 truck vendors. So here is my list of notable vendors who have always treated me as a valued customer, or more importantly, follow through with their advertised promises. I am sure there are more and I would love to hear who YOUR favorite vendors are.

Engine and Misc. Auto Parts - Check RockAuto.com first. They have a pretty impressive library of engine and drivetrain parts and usually substantially cheaper than our usual truck vendors.

Any Fasteners, Grommets, Clamps, NPT fittings, etc,etc. - Check McMaster-Carr.com first. They never cease to amaze me. I am a stainless steel nuts and bolts fan and they have it all in any size you wish. When their prices are questionable, I may purchase their anyway since I know they are a one-stop resource but for the most part, if you shop carefully, you can get decent prices too. They have two grades of Stainless and there is nothing wrong with the cheaper version for my purposes.

For Wire, electrical parts, and anything electronics - Mouser.com with a very close behind DigiKey.com.

Don't misunderstand, the usual vintage truck vendors are great and we should support them when we can, but little old me will not make or break any of them. When I need something very Old Chevy Truck specific, Jim Carter comes to mind first because he is a man of character and I have worked with him and find him to be honest and trustworthy. Another notable one is Bowtie Bits and that is because he is 30 miles away and Jeff is a very knowledgeable resource. Finally, I like to get most of the finish items from Classic Parts because it's hard to beat their pricing for the same quality.

Lastly, these days, I have time to do my research and one indispensable resource that I check every time is Ebay. There are very reputable people out there who sell items on a regular basis that I like to give a chance when I can. So far I have never been bit. As someone who purchases bulk wire, shrink tubing, switches, relays, etc, etc. Ebay has saved me a lot of money. Just plan on waiting a long time to get it.
    Last edited by Deve; 07-03-2016, 09:17 AM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com
Working...
X