Tip of the Week (31) for May 1 - 7, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the Week (31) for May 1 - 7, 2016

I stumbled across something the other day while doing research on thermostats. First of all, everything you need or care to know about Thermostats can be found here:

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc...t/1281095.html

The thing I ran into and decided... HEY! THIS IS PRETTY COOL! is the Thermostat with a Jiggle Valve. With a vintage Chevy 6 cylinder we run into a situation when refilling our cooling system where air can be trapped inside the engine block. If the air cannot be vented off, it will cause hot pockets within the block. Of course this is not good. Sometimes you notice it because the water temp is erratic. Other times maybe you never really know that you are causing undue harm to your engine because of it. So....

If you hang out with a bunch of old farts like myself on forums devoted to old Chevy vehicles, it doesn't take long for the issue of Thermostats to come up. When it does, there is always someone who will say to prevent the above situation, just drill a 1/8" hole in your thermostat. There are LOTS of guys out there with that hole in their thermostat and I don't see anything wrong with that. BUT.. until recently, I thought that was one of those tips that was passed down by the mechanics in the know from generation to generation and was not really officially embraced by the auto industry. Oh Contraire!

Enter the Jiggle Valve Thermostat. You can get them in 160, 180 and 195 degree versions. They are made for your 216/235/261 engines and look the same as the one you put in regularly. The difference is, there is a little (about 1/8") hole and through that hole is a Jiggle Valve. It opens to let the air out of the system but closes the second the coolant starts to push against it. This way the integrity of the Thermostat is kept intact while bleeding off the excess air to the Radiator where it is removed automatically through the overflow tube.

So what would you expect to pay for such a nice feature? These days, I just go to RockAuto for stuff like this. The prices are too low to beat and you get a nice toolbox magnet to adorn your Tool Box. Here are a few part numbers and links:

160 Degree Thermostats:
    Motorad 2000160 - 160 degree Thermostat w/ Jiggle Valve
    AC Delco 12TP1B - 160 degree Thermostat w/ Jiggle Valve

180 Degree Thermostats:
    Motorad 2000180 - 180 degree Thermostat w/ Jiggle Valve
    AC Delco 12TP1D - 180 degree Thermostat w/ Jiggle Valve

195 Degree Thermostats:
    Motorad 2000195 - 195 degree Thermostat w/ Jiggle Valve
    AC Delco 12TP1E - 195 degree Thermostat w/ Jiggle Valve

This research was done using RockAuto.com and searching for a 1959 235 Engine, however, all of the years clear back to the 1940's use a 2-1/8" Thermostat and the housings are the same. Searching for a 1950 216 Engine returns the same results. So the price for these Thermostats is about $3.30 to $4.60. If you are purchasing other items at the same time to justify shipping costs, there just isn't a cheaper place to go for the high quality brands. On the other hand, most local area auto parts stores either stock or can get these thermostats. Always get the one with the Jiggle Valve!! Seeya Next Week!
    Last edited by Deve; 04-30-2016, 04:23 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Thanks for another great tip, Deve. Can you help me sort out which thermostat is best for my application? I have a 1960 261 in a '53 3100 and I live in central Ohio. The truck is put away for winter in early December so I never use it in real cold weather. Using the "Goldilocks" principle, it seems to me that the 180 degree thermostat would be just right. Am I missing something? Thanks

Comment

I think you have it right. Your climate there is about the same as here and 180 works for me. Heater works nicely too.
      Deve Krehbiel
      devestechnet.com
      forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
      X