Tip of the Week (47) for August 21 - 27, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the Week (47) for August 21 - 27, 2016

This week I am proud to announce a new How-To Article aimed at those of you who want to attempt your own maintenance on your stock Torque Tube Rear End with emphasis on the Gear Swap from the stock 4.11:1 to an enhanced 3.55:1. Read the article to understand better the advantages. It may not be completely finished if you check it out in the next few days, but it's almost there. The work has been done successfully and I am ready for the next thing to pop in my mind. Hope it happens soon! Anyway, go to devestechnet.com/Home/DifferentialOverhaul and tell me what you think. These things happen with Collaboration.. they do NOT happen by themselves. Brad Allen was instrumental in supplying the Film version, and Dave (Pre68Dave) Folsom was responsible for holding my hand throughout all this. And without Dave, this would not have been possible. He is THE resident expert when it comes to all things mechanical on these old trucks. There are other forums you can go to that have a lot of idiotic advice and make you feel stupid for asking basic questions, then there is this one. We may not get much traffic, but the user gets their question answered by the very best experts in the world and with KINDNESS. I am very proud of that. If you have ideas on how we can better serve the guy like YOU, let us know. We do not do this for money, there is no profit motivation, we do it for the comradery and knowing we helped others.

The last part of this TIP OF THE WEEK is my thoughts on something that has been bothering me for awhile. Maybe this rings true for some of you. Here goes..

I called up one of our vendors last week asking him for a procedure he wrote a long time ago and if it was on the internet, could I have permission to link to it. He said he did not have it on the internet and furthermore there is no way he would give permission just so that all of the people out there can go to someone else to purchase the parts. He went on to say that by creating How-To Articles I am exacerbating the problem because if anyone is going to have how-to articles out there, it should be the responsible vendors, not some 'enthusiast' mucking things up. Well, to be honest, I never really thought about it that way. Maybe it is why I get the cold shoulder when speaking to them. You would think they would talk to me more since I bring them so much business, but nope.. I might as well be the red-headed stepchild.

My contention has always been, and always will be, that information drives the industry to success no matter where it comes from as long as it is honest and most of all CORRECT. By creating How-To Articles for the masses, I am giving them ideas on how to do things themselves which gets them to thinking about purchasing the parts needed. They purchase the parts from successful vendors who have good reputations. By being totally neutral about WHERE the parts are purchased, but hinting on where to get the parts that WORKED for me, I am ENHANCING the industry, not tearing it down. If the vendors feel slighted by my How-To Articles, nobody until now has ever said it. Maybe they should speak their mind if they disagree and we can get some dialog going. Meanwhile, we have NO plans to stop the How-To Article and Movie train anytime soon. Information is Power and that power deserves to be in the hands of each individual making the purchase, or making the decision to use their hard earned money and time to feed the industry we are so much a part of. Did I say that right?

Meanwhile, here are a few suggestions for the Vendors out there who think they are being slighted. There is Free Ad space on the Home Page of DevesTechNet.com available to run their ads, 24/7/365. They can offer discounts and give incentives to people to purchase from them. They can offer suggestions on how to IMPROVE the How-To Articles. They can offer alternatives and be proactive in order to create enthusiasm for their brand. I am here for them ALMOST as much as I am here for you. You, the guy who has one vintage vehicle and wants to make it the best it can be is always considered first and foremost. Seeya next week!
    Last edited by Deve; 08-20-2016, 05:46 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com
Working...
X