Tip of the Week (52) for Sept 25 - Oct 1, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the Week (52) for Sept 25 - Oct 1, 2016

Welcome to Tip of the Week Number 52. A full year of tips written each and every week for a year! Well, it's not easy to come up with material every week and sustain this schedule, so do not be surprised if I do something else this next year. Maybe I will use the Blog capability of this Forum software. The idea is to share information for free and help as many people as I can to fully appreciate their vintage Chevy's. On to the Tip...

Sticking with the Turn Signal theme, here is the full schematic for the SignalStat 900 from Truck-Lite. I choose this unit for all of the pre-1955 trucks because:
    1) It is still in production.
    2) It is made for big rigs and VERY solidly made.
    3) It has ALL of the circuits needed for front blinkers as well as rear, stop, tail and pilot.

Unless you want to go to a 1955 1st series column complete with stock blinker parts, this is really the best choice. The 1955 1st column has a few differences in it that allows for bolting the blinker bezel and bits to the column and a 54-56 steering wheel would be required, but if you do all of that, THAT is your very top of the line choice. Back to the SignalStat 900.

This SignalStat 900 uses its own 3 terminal flasher (#263) and there is an LED version available as well, but I do not know the number for that one. The unit comes with a 12 volt Pilot Bulb. If you cannot get your Pilot Light (Indicator Light on the unit) to work with your 12v system reliably, it is because of an anomaly associated with the SignalStat 900. It expects you to attach it around a BARE steering column for its ground. If your steering column is painted, the only problem will be that your Pilot Light will not work. Scraping a little paint off, everything will work as advertised. To test this before ruining your paint job, take a jumper wire and touch one of the bolts that holds the steering column to the dash to one of the SignalStats mounting screws. Test the blinker and if the indicator light works, you found your problem.

Now all we have to do is to make this fantastic system work even better! We all want what we expect from our more modern vehicles, a Self Canceling feature. As you get older, this becomes more of an issue. We are on the verge of a breakthrough and I am very hopeful in the next few weeks we will have THE solution we have been waiting for, for many years. Meanwhile to give you something to wet your appetite, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIkLtqMOnpo

Stay tuned! Much more to come!
    Last edited by Deve; 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com
Working...
X