Tip of the Week (64) for December 18 - 24, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the Week (64) for December 18 - 24, 2016

Years ago a friend of mine John Erb was kind enough to take me on his excursions. John was in the business of going to all of the remote salvage yards all over Kansas and surrounding states picking parts for our vendors. It was a very once in a lifetime opportunity to learn just about everything about the 47-55 Chevy Truck series. We pulled flywheels (imagine what that took), engines, transmissions, etc along with every part of the truck. Jim Carter was usually the benefactor of our work, but we made the rounds to everyone in the Kansas City area. When we left the salvage yard, we had a truck bed and a trailer full of parts. There is not one bolt, not one assembly that I am not intimately familiar with as a result. I cherish that experience because without that, I would be guessing like everyone else. After doing that, my friend John died and he is missed each and every day. His wisdom, understanding, and kindness will always remind me of the best of humanity.

John taught me so much as I began restoring my own trucks. He had a knack for solving problems and his experience, just like all of our older generation, is irreplaceable. Another mentor was Jim Carter himself. He always very patiently answered questions and helped shape my knowledge base with the very best information available. You know how it is.. you go to a Forum and ask a question and 50% of the information is outright wrong, 25% or more is nonsensical BS, and the other 25% leaves you with more questions than answers. There are people I call when I am not sure of something and I know.. beyond ANY shadow of a doubt, with 100% certainty that the answer is THE answer. The reason for that is if they don't know for sure, they TELL you they do not know for sure! Imagine!

Dave Folsom (Pre68Dave) is one of them, Jim Carter is another, then there are few in other countries that I call on from time to time to get THE answer. I have never been let down by these people so I felt very strongly that it was incumbent on me to pass that information along. Not to mention some of you, who share your information freely and without ignorance. We have the start of a very good team here and my hope is we can work together to get accurate information out to those guys who have one truck in their garage and high hopes. Remember, this is about YOU and sharing information. Please pass along whatever you learn no matter how insignificant because there is someone out there watching and learning at all levels. This weeks Tip?

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/blog/ <-- Jim Carters Blog. This man has spent his life in the service of teaching and that is the part about his business he loves the most. You can tell from his library of information. If you have never been there, check it out!

http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/ <-- Dave Folsom's Blog. I mentioned this in Tip 59, but bears repeating. Dave is the most knowledgeable engine and driveline guy I know. He loves to share his information. If there is something engine or driveline related that is not on his blog, you can always reach him right here on our Forums.

Seeya Next Week I hope. I am running out of things to write about. If you have anything you would like to understand more about your AD truck, let me know!

Hats off to these guys! Now if you are bored and running out of things to read right here at Deve's Technet, go to my Resources Page and you will find many other sites worth mention. Reading IS fundamental!
    Last edited by Deve; 12-17-2016, 09:12 AM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Great write-up Deve! I think you've singled out a couple of the best resources we have for these AD trucks!!

How about looking at the headliner installation? There are some differences from 1947.2-1955.1 and some of the vendors appear to have a better product than others (ABS and cardboard) to include fitment issues. It could also address insulating the cab/doors/floor/roof for a quieter ride.

Keep those 'Tips of the Week' coming, we all appreciate your excellent work and dedication to the AD truck!!!

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

Smile says it all......Click image for larger version

Name:	20161122_210656.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2232

Comment

Originally posted by HandyAndy1947 View Post
        Great write-up Deve! I think you've singled out a couple of the best resources we have for these AD trucks!!

How about looking at the headliner installation? There are some differences from 1947.2-1955.1 and some of the vendors appear to have a better product than others (ABS and cardboard) to include fitment issues. It could also address insulating the cab/doors/floor/roof for a quieter ride.

Keep those 'Tips of the Week' coming, we all appreciate your excellent work and dedication to the AD truck!!!

Thanks,

Andy
        Hey Deve, i am completely agree with HandyAndy and also wish to come more 'tips of the Week' in the coming future. I appreciate your work very much. Thanks a lot!

manual

Comment

Here is one tip you probably already know about that isn't truck specific but helpful to anyone faced with the daunting task of cleaning all of that caked on grease. Drano crystals mixed with 10 gallons of HOT water in a large plastic tub was enough to soak my engine block, heads & all related greasy parts for easy cleaning. A power washer afterwards removed the remaining residue. Since this product is safe and approved for pouring down the drain you can discard without harming the environment.

Comment

Great idea. As former apprentice plumber, I should've thought of that. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
            X