Oil sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil sending unit

First things first, I'd like to say I wish I never would have found this website. Now I have way too many new ideas of systems to incorporate into my 1949 3800 frame off resto. HEI, PCV, heater upgrade, augmented electric fuel pump, and critical information system. All great, will be welcomed additions to the reliability of the vehicle long term.

Truck is currently completely disassembled. Engine is ready to drop in frame. Full rewire coming. Will be 12v system. I am upgrading my gauges to a similar setup as shown on Dave's page http://www.1952chevytruck.com/1947_5...es.htm#cluster. It comes with an electric oil and water sending unit. I plan to also build a critical info system and the frame mount electric fuel pump augmentation system. All three of these use an electric sending unit. Can one sending unit supply necessary signal to all three of those systems?

When I receive the replacement gauges, I am considering drilling a small hole in each of them and installing a very small led in each gauge corresponding to the CIS system to serve as an on gauge "idiiot light"!

To answer your question about using the same sending unit, it really depends. Most electronic techs use the concept of making or breaking connections using the HOT (12v power) side of things. They do this out of habit and its a bad idea because making and breaking 12v causes a lot of extra wear on switches and sending units. The smart thing to do is make and break GROUND. So, all of my creations do that. Not everyone does, so I am not sure if that is the way everyone else in this conversation did it. All of the fuel systems from the 1980s and early 90s used 12v instead of ground. So some research would be needed to see how to resolve that. It wouldn't be hard to change it over, but its just something that has to be looked at. The oil pressure sensor I use will make and break on one set of contacts, and break and make on the other. So one sensor does two things (opposite) at the same time.

As far as the idiot lights, you can place them anywhere you want to. In the resto I am doing now for the book, I want to change the ammeter to a voltmeter using the stock gauge cluster so I hope to learn from Dave on that one. Thanks for the reminder!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
    X