T-5 Floor Pan Poke-Thru for Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-5 Floor Pan Poke-Thru for Shifter

My fab skills are limited, but an idea for the Farm it out section. I'm using a t5 behind my 261 and a 55.1 rear axle. Problem is the t5 shifter from the s-10 doesn't line up with he factory 4 speed flor pan. What if you took the hump from the 4 speed floor pan and fabricated it to the flat 3 speed floor pan to line up with the T5 shifter from a S-10? Btw, I'm restoring a 51 chevy 5 window I've had since I was 14....22 years ago!
    Not sure if this is the right area, but I'm sure others have run into this same issue and have limited resources for a solution.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking the T-5 came in a few configurations. The Astro-Van T5 had the shifter closer to the stock placement which is something others might consider when doing this mod. So placement could be to suit. I agree that starting off with a 3 speed floor cover gives you all the options you need.

It is possible to make the hump without purchasing another 4 speed cover. But let me ask you this... Is the height of the 4 speed cover hump exactly what you want? Or to make it perfect, could it be taller, or shallower? Do you need the extra humpage of the 4 speed cover (to the side of the hole) for clearance or something?

Just trying to help!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Here is what I did to make this exact thing except for a special shifter that adapts the 3 speed to come out of the floor in the 4 speed location. You cut this pattern out, then fold and shape it so that all corners top, and all sides are rounded. Use a piece of pipe to wrap it around in the appropriate places. Of course this isnt the proper shape for your project. It needs to be shaped and sized to act as a box that sits down on top of the 3 speed pan and then welded in place. Make sense? Try it with a piece of cardboard first.

http://www.speedprint.com/RoundedBox.png
      Last edited by Deve; 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM.
      Deve Krehbiel
      devestechnet.com
      forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
      X