Bench bleeding the master cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench bleeding the master cylinder?

Hi Deve, I am getting ready to install my rebuilt master cylinder. Do I need to bench bleed it before mounting? Also, What brake fluid do I use? I don't know the difference between Dot3, 4, etc. Thanks, Terry

I would recommend bench bleeding. You just put a line from the output back into the opening and pump it to get all the air out. DOT 3 is the normal fluid used for years. The down side of regular DOT3 is it melts paint. Its just something you live with. DOT5 is silicone based and does not melt paint. You cannot mix the two. If you go to DOT5, you have to thoroughly clean out your system first. My frame-up resto uses DOT5. But if its a running truck, DOT3 is fine. Thats my take on brake fluid. Much more to the story, but thats my 2 cents!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

• DBCooper
      DBCooper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Deve, I ended up changing plans. My winter project turned into a spring project! I found a drum/drum dual chamber master cylinder from Performanceonline.com for $109 that included the mounting bracket. The hardest part was installing all new steel brake lines separating front from back. Interesting how the factory had the front left wheel on one 3/16 line and a 1/4 line to a tee feeding 3/16 to the other 3 wheels.. I ran 1/4 to tee to 3/16 to each front and same to the rear. (will let you know how it works) While everything is torn apart I decided to upgrade from old ball bearings to modern tapered bearings up front. Have not tested the brake system yet.....No one wants to ride along for the first ride. Imagine that I think these upgrades are good safety mods for any stock truck. Terry

DOT3 for me. The original master cylinder rebuild was a fun easy project too for those that are considering a new one. $135ish new vs $17.95 for rebuild kit. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X