No announcement yet.

Oil Pump Gasket - where can I find one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump Gasket - where can I find one?

In a previous post I reported a problem with contact between the oil pump pick up tube and #5 connecting rod in my 57 chevy 235. Turned out the tube was bent. I dropped the bottom plate to remove the bent pipe and the gasket was damaged in the process. Now, it appears, GM #838451 has been discontinued and none of the local dealers or parts stores still stock it. My online search so far is also coming up empty. From reviewing old threads on this subject, this has been a problem for a number of years now. Has anyone out there found a source for this elusive part, outside of what comes with a new pump or rebuild kit?

Some of the old posts suggest making a DIY gasket from a piece of paper, being careful to find paper as close as possible to .009" thick. Is this a safe option?

It's really the only choice I know of. You don't want it too thick because it will affect the oil pressure. I am not an expert on this. I wonder if gasket sealer would provide the necessary thickness without a gasket at all? You can try it either way and run a drill motor with a spade (large screwdriver end) in your electric drill at full speed and see what the oil pressure reads on the gauge. If it reads normal, then you are good to go.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

I have assembled many oil pumps and seldom have I used a factory made gasket.
      I always put a straight edge across the pump and measure with a feeler gauge the distance between the body and the straight edge. The gears almost always protrude slightly above the housing.
      I then go to my recycling bin and find a piece of paper about.002” thicker than the feeler gauge.
      Be sure to give the pump a test spin and install.
      Last edited by Pre68Dave; 03-10-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pre68Dave View Post
        I have assembled many oil pumps and seldom have I used a factory made gasket.
        I always put a straight edge across the pump and measure with a feeler gauge the distance between the body and the straight edge. The gears almost always protrude slightly above the housing.
        I then go to my recycling bin and find a piece of paper about.002” thicker than the feeler gauge.
        Be sure to give the pump a test spin and install.
        Thanks for the advice. I found a source for the stock gasket on another forum and ordered it yesterday:
        Dan's GM Obsolete
        Chinook , Montana
        phone : 406-357-2615

If the stock gasket is too thick I'll use it as a template to make a thinner one.

Comment

Working...
        X