Shackle bushings for leaf springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shackle bushings for leaf springs

The shackle bushings on my 1953 half ton rust bucket are shot and must be replaced. So far, I haven't budged the ones in the frame hangers. I've tried heat. Today I tried pulling them out using a 1/2 inch forged I bolt through the center. I twisted the threads off of the bolt which is rated at 2000 lbs., and didn't budge the bushing. I'm curious as to what methods you guys use to remove these bushings. I replaced all of them on my 1940 half ton, and it was quite a job, but so far this 1953 seems worse. I have made no progress.

Mike, I would use a 1/2" Hardened bolt so it doesn't strip as easily with a breakover bar and hardened socket WHILE applying heat using an acetylene torch to get it good and hot. With a helper keeping the heat on, turn the bolt. It will come out. If it doesn't it will be time to drill it out with just the right bit so as not to ruin the threads. I do not know the proper size. I think heat/bolt will do the job.

Or you could always do it the Dave Folsom way.. which is probably better: http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/searc...ring%20Shackle
    Last edited by Deve; 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

I had the same problem. I heated one then drove it out with an appropriate sized impact deep set socket, Btw I ruined the socket but eventually drove it out. The other one I drilled it out as Deve described. It's a pain but stick with it, I am sure you will get it done.

Comment

Working...
      X