Fuel filter bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter bowl

I have a 235 installed in my 58 Apache. I have replaced the gas tank, fuel pump, fuel lines and fuel filter/bowl assembly with new units as part of the rebuild process. The engine starts and runs fine. My problem is this; after I park the truck for a few hours the glass bowl on the fuel filter that's connected to the carb, loses fuel down to about half of the bowl capacity. This creates a minor
    problem starting as I have to crank it until the bowl fills again. There are no external leaks on the carb, fuel filter assembly or lines.

My technical advisor (older brother, he can't be right) tells me the float in the carb is sticking open or is miss adjusted. My theory is that the heat from the manifold cause the fuel to evaporate when the truck is first shut down. Again the truck starts fine as long as the bowl is full of fuel and there are no fuel leaks anywhere.

Any other possible causes? Do I actually have a problem or is this normal?

That's a really good question. I have several of these 235's and they all behave just a little differently that way. I would say it's sort of normal, but I hope someone who knows sees this and can respond with a good answer!
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtrain View Post
      I have to crank it until the bowl fills again.
      I can't explain it but it seems like most filters I see run half full all of the time.

It would take several days, except in extreme heat for the float bowl to become empty.
      The most common problem is that the float valve is not shutting off completely. This allows the pump pressure in the line to bleed off into the carb, causing a flooded condition.

Comment

Working...
      X