Correct oil flow volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct oil flow volume

I'm building a 1954, 261 and have modified it for the full flow oil filtering, I have and like the original oil filter canister that was in use as a by-pass oil filtering system. As I was a fixin to reinstall it on the manifold as before, it dawned on me that the amount of oil (volume) the By-Pass filter canister will pass is probably a lot less than required to keep up with engine requirements. Is that a correct assumption? Can I modify the original canister for increased volume ?

Thanks to all,
    Bill

Hi Bill! Yes, you are correct in thinking that is not a good idea to use the bypass cannister. The reason is because the canister has a built in 1/16" orifice that restricts the oil flow enough to allow for the proper oil pressure in Bypass. You need a 3/8" feed through the entire system for full flow with no restriction. If you can modify your original canister to provide that functionality, then you are good to go. What I do is just put a 3/8" hose system with a spin on adapter at the triangular side motor mount area. This serves two purposes. It provides easier oil changes and gives you genuine full oil flow, but an additional plus is the oil is not traveling uphill to the cannister on the manifold, rather flowing from the inlet to the outlet in a straight line. If you do not like the looks, and I can totally relate, maybe it's possible to remove that 1/16th inch restrictor in the standpipe of the original filter system?

Remember ... now that the full flow mod is in place, you MUST connect the inlet to the outlet for oil to flow to the engine's internals. I like to have a hose that goes from one port to the other handy so if I suspect a clog in the filtration system, I can bypass that problem. With your new mod, oil is pumped from the pickup in the oil pan to the front Outlet port then through a filter to the rear Inlet port where the oil begins to do its job. If those ports are not tied together, there is no oil making it to where it needs to go.
    Last edited by Deve; 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

• 90crows
      90crows commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it, I saw the 1/16 hole in the stand pipe and the canister is equipped with 1/4 fitting, not sure I have the guts to experiment with oil flow at this point.
      I like the spin on side mount but I'm using that attach point for its intended purpose which leaves the frame mount configuration. Food for thought- thanks for the reply and the words of caution, I admit to being a little nervous at this point, I'll be going over the start up check list with some renewed frequency in the coming weeks.

Working...
X