Rochester model B questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rochester model B questions

First off, thanks Deve for this amazing resource! Such a great website, making it a pleasure to work on our truck.

I'm rebuilding a Rochester B for a 59 261, unfortunately it is a 235 carb but it is in very nice condition, I believe I could reuse all the parts but I have a nice rebuild kit from a local store. I noticed that the accelerator pump plunger currently in it has a rubber seal, whereas the kit uses leather. Also the float needle in it is solid metal, but the replacement has a rubber tip. It's probably a nit-picky question but is there any reason to prefer one or another? I would think because of problems with ethanol fuel I should use the metal needle but not sure if leather or rubber will hold up longer in the accelerator pump.

any advice or suggestions appreciated thanks!

With float valve design I always chose to use a good metal one over a Viton(rubber tipped one).
    It is not that the Viton is affected by ethanol, but I have seen where old gas that has gone bad will damage it.
    When I say "good metal one" that can be hard to determine. If the carb has been working fine, as far as the float valve shutting off, I would reuse it. If the valve is unknown, I would use the Viton.

Accelerator pump material is not a concern for me.
    The thing I almost always see as a problem is, on the bottom of the pump there is a brass insert.
    Right above that insert is a ball bearing. Almost every one I have seen the brass insert is not pushed in far enough. This causes a problem in that the ball is not held close enough to it's seat.

I guess it is time for me to do a blog post about this.

Comment

To be VERY clear. This site depends on people like Dave and truthfully USUALLY Dave for this level of expertise. Thanks yet again Dave! I was wondering the answers here myself. Look forward to your blog. And for those of you who do not have Daves Blog bookmarked properly..... http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/
      Deve Krehbiel
      devestechnet.com
      forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
      X