could it be the flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could it be the flywheel

hi ya'll i'm working on a 1951 chevy , 216, 3 spd. i have posted this issue before and while i received some great leads and suggestions, such as a short or bad ground, after addressing those issues, the problem remains.
    this is the issue. i don't know the history of the car but i do know that it was not on the road since the mid 70s. i brought the car home and got it running and i still have some work, but it seems to be a runner.
    the problem is starting. some times i push the button and everything works as it should. sometimes i push the button and i get a loud clicking sound and thats it. if i continue pushing the start button, i'll notice some white wisps of smoke coming from the starter button at which time i'll give it a rest and it may or may not start later.
    what i have done so far is replace the coil, battery, (still 6 volts) replaced the starter solenoid, new ignition key/switch, new starter button, rewired the ignition circuit, points, plugs, cap, condenser, rotor, and wires, but still clicking....sometimes.

so this morning, i was reading deve krehbiel's book on these engines and he mentioned that there are 2 different flywheels and i got to thinking that maybe the flywheel and starter gear don't mesh quite right all the time. to test this, i tried to start the car. when the clicking sound happened, i went under the car and moved the flywheel slightly by hand and the starter engaged and presto! i tried it a few times and it seemed to work. so my question is, could the flywhell be the cause and if so, what are my options?

also worth noting is that most of the old wiring for the lights etc remains. it is the original cloth and to say it is in bad shape, well lets just say it is. with the exception of every wire that is in the ignition circuit, the old stuff remains.

as always any and all suggestion would be a great help!
    thanks

Take a look at the ring gear on the flywheel on the starter gear side (engine side). If the gear is beat up too bad from years of starter engagement, there is a grinding sound and the starter gear won't engage. The fix is to remove the flywheel and turn the ring gear over so you can use the other side of the teeth that is not damaged. The procedure on how to do that is here in about the middle of the article contributed by Allen Jones.. http://devestechnet.com/Home/Flywheel

Before you go to all that trouble, get a file and see if there are any burrs on the teeth you can file off a little as a temporary fix.
    Deve Krehbiel
    devestechnet.com
    forums.devestechnet.com

Comment

Working...
    X